Here are some random things I have learned about my new job this week:
- You are not allowed to view the calendar by double clicking the clock. I didn't realize how often I did this until I got a mean little message that told me I did not have the "rights" to make changes to the date and time. I don't want to make changes! I just want to SEE the calendar!
- No personalization of your computer allowed. I'm a photographer in my spare time and as a result I like to set my desktop photo to some pretty and seasonal picture I took myself. No can do sadly.
- The door. Once you swipe your badge, push IN first, then pull. I looked like a big dummy yanking on the door convinced my security badge didn't work
- Badge access at the main entry: hold, don't swipe your badge over the reader. Otherwise, you will never escape and will inevitably hold up a line of people forming behind you. Zero chance of not standing out as "the new girl" in this situation.
- Coffee in the kitchen. Nope. But you do have three places to buy your own. Looks like it's green tea for me!
- My phone was apparently previously associated with some random test account and as a result, I get about 10 calls a day from someone trying to verify something I don't understand. Hopefully these will stop soon.
Yes, the first week is all about learning - everything form my day to day responsibilities to how to open the door :) So far, so good.