Monday, March 23, 2009

Music: The shorthand of emotion

When was the last time music gave you goosebumps? Me? Sunday afternoon. I went to see my friend Heather in her debut performance with a jazz and blues band called the Royal Jelly Orchestra. Heather was absolutley incredible. Her voice is so soulful and effortless and her stage presence is fabulous. Absolute joy to listen to.

Couple that with some of the most talented, mind blowingly awesome musicians I have ever seen and my afternoon was complete. Absolutley tremendous sax players, a trumpet player who's amazing performance couldn't help but put a smile on your face and a pianist that rivalled any piano playing I have ever seen. One woman sang Bridge Over Troubled Water with a bass player as her only accompaniment. It was deeply moving. Her voice filled the playhouse and literally gave me goosebumps. She didn't even need a microphone.

I left smiling with this feeling of pride for my friend and for all the other people I know who are so musically talented. I love being a part of their shows, even if it is just as an adoring fan. I am just so entertained by musical talent and live performance.

Heather is particularly amazing. Having only been actively singing for three years, she fit right in with a band that contains several people who have been singing and playing jazz and blues for their entire professional careers. She truly is a natural and I'm so happy to see that she's found her "calling" in life. I think I felt the same level of happiness as her beaming mom who made the 5 hour trek to Cobourg to surprise her daughter and watch the show.

All this talent around me makes me sad I can't sing. I should be able to. I've lamented this fact a million times. My mom sings. My Dad is a great guitar player. People actually pay to hear them play together! But it's okay. I will not be sad. No, I'll live vicariously through the musical escapades of my friends and, until the next show, I'll simply continue singing badly to myself in my car.

Check out some of Heather's tunes here.

Or check out the Royal Jelly Orchestra here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love music too despite an utter lack of talent :) Maybe that is part of why I appreciate it even more?

Let me know next time you are going to see Heather, the Lapdog concert was quite memorable, haha. I still listen to those songs on my computer actually!