Monday, August 14, 2006

In the afterglow of reflection

It was perfect. I wouldn't have changed a thing. April and Jake's wedding was just... wonderful. April looked stunning. I could barely hold back tears when I looked at her. She was so calm and collected. So happy. It was beautiful.

The ceremony was short and sweet. Alicia and Joel's rendition of "Baby I love your way" was unforgetable. It was a perfect day. Warm and pleasant. Everyone looked fabulous. I barely recognized myself in the pictures I saw yesterday.

Despite being a nervous wreck, moreso even than the bride herself, I pulled it together enough to walk down the aisle smiling ear-to-ear rather than with that look of nervous panic that I envisioned on the drive to the church. I didn't cough. But I cried. I thought I'd be a rock, April's voice of reason but there was so much emotion I couldn't help it. It's funny how things that are so happy bring people to tears. It's strange to smile and cry at the same time.

The reception was also unforgetable. I couldn't have imagined it any other way. The speeches were amusing, heartfelt and honest and I even managed to get through mine without sobbing uncontrollably.

Everyone was so happy.

The food was fantastic and the band was great. It was so nice to see so many different generations of couples out on the dance floor having a great time together. It was a great party.

I'm having trouble concentrating at work today. I keep staring off into the distance of my computer screen with a silly grin on my face remembering the whole weekend.

I couldn't be happier for April and Jake. You two are really some kind of wonderful :)

No comments: